Key steps for undergraduate students applying for financial aid
Applying for financial aid can be a painless process if you keep in mind some helpful hints and follow the instructions provided here. If you'd like to determine how much aid you'll need to attend Marquette, please visit the Marquette Net Price Calculator.
FAFSA Overview and Helpful Hints
1. Get Organized
2. Start the FAFSA Online
3. Follow Up
To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you need to:
- Create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) username and password online. You will use this to sign the FAFSA online.
- Use this guide to help determine your dependency status.
- If you are a dependent student. have your parent create an FSA ID online. They will use this to sign the FAFSA.
- Use this guide to find out what parent information needs to be included on the FAFSA.
- Apply early - file your FAFSA as soon as you can.
Complete all sections about you, your school plans, and financial information, don’t leave blank spaces.
- Go to the FAFSA website.
- Avoid common errors. Enter your correct date name, date of birth, etc.
- Make sure you enter your personal information exactly as it appears on your Social Security card. (That’s right, no nicknames.)
- Dependent students must have a parent's signature on their FAFSA.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer both your and your parent’s tax information to the FAFSA.
- List Marquette University. Our school code is 003863.
- Sign and submit the FAFSA using your FSA ID. If you are a dependent student, don't forget to include your parent's FSA ID too, or your FAFSA will not be accepted.
- Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is calculated from information you provided on the FAFSA. The EFC is an indicator of the family’s financial strength and is used to determine your financial aid eligibility.
- Print out and keep a copy of your submitted information for your records.
After you file the FAFSA:
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Check it for accuracy and follow up on any requests for additional information.
- Watch your eMarq account for financial aid notifications and/or requests for additional documentation. Read and follow all instructions.
- Contact Marquette Central if you have special or extraordinary circumstances to consider regarding your financial aid offer.