- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Distance Education (Online Graduate Programs)
- Accelerated Degree Programs
- Application Instructions
- Graduate Forms
- Graduate Program Bulletin
- Program Application Deadlines
- Request Program Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Counseling Psychology PhD Program
A Scientist-Practitioner Model Program, Accredited by the American Psychological Association
Our doctoral program in counseling psychology is based on a scientist-practitioner model for training professional psychologists and is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association. Students acquire a solid foundation of knowledge in the biological, cognitive, affective, individual and social bases of human behavior.
Through course work in research design, measurement and statistics, students develop the skills needed to critically evaluate psychological research and to conduct their own independent research. Training in diagnosis, assessment, psychotherapy, consultation, practica, internship and ethics provides students with the necessary professional skills to practice as competent and ethical counseling psychologists. Supervised practica and internship experiences are available through the university's Counseling Center and at a wide variety of community sites. Graduates are prepared to practice as psychologists, professors, consultants, administrators and researchers.
- Request Information
- Application Details
- Related Programs
- Financial Aid
Ready to learn more about Marquette University's Psychology Counseling Graduate program? Reach out directly to our program recruiter or email us below (all fields required) and we will respond to you shortly.
phone: (414) 288-0327
Email the Graduate School
December 1st for the following fall term.
Read all application instructions prior to beginning an application.
- A completed online application form and fee.
- Copies of all colleges/universities except Marquette.1
- Three letters of recommendation along with recommendation forms.
- A statement of purpose. (i.e., why you are interested in counseling psychology, Marquette University, and our department in particular; how your research experiences and career goals are congruent with the scientist-practitioner model of our department; a ranking of up to three department faculty with whom you wish to work on research, as well as the reasons why you wish to work with these faculty; and how your counseling goals and aspirations fit with the program’s training model and training sites).
- A resume/vita.
- GRE scores (General Test only).
- For international applicants only: a TOEFL score or other acceptable proof of English proficiency.
- After all applications are reviewed, the highest ranking applicants will be contacted for an interview with the faculty. This is required for admission. International applicants residing in foreign countries and applicants with extenuating circumstances may conduct their interviews over the phone. These interviews are normally held on the last Friday in January.
1 Upon admission, final official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities, with certified English translations if original language is not English, must be submitted to the Graduate School within the first five weeks of the term of admission or a hold preventing registration for future terms will be placed on the student’s record.
- Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology's (CECP) master's programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling.
- Visit the department web page for more detailed information about all CECP programs.
In recent years, new full-time doctoral students have been supported by part-time research assistantships through the department. Scholarships have helped some additional students, and a variety of fellowships and other options are available.
U.S. citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for need-based federal aid (loans) to help fund their educational expenses as well.