Wisconsin Nursing Student Loan
- Resident of Wisconsin, as determined by Higher Education Aids Board
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student in a participating UW, Wisconsin Technical College, or private, non-profit post secondary institution in the state
- Enrolled at least half-time in a degree or certificate program leading to a nursing license (RN or LPN)
- Intend to graduate within four years if attending a college or university or within two years if attending a technical college
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Agree to practice as a licensed nurse in Wisconsin for the term of the forgiveness period
Amounts and selection process
Awards range from $1,000 up to $3,000 per academic year with the total borrowed not to exceed $15,000. Marquette selects eligible students and determines each student's loan amount.
The interest rate is a fixed rate of 5 percent. If the student practices nursing full-time in the State of Wisconsin, 25 percent of the loan will be forgiven in the first year and 25 percent in the second year. The maximum forgivable amount is 50 percent of the amount borrowed.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Eligible students who are offered the Wisconsin Nursing Loan on CheckMarq will receive the Loan Application forms by email. The Loan Application forms must be completed and returned following the instructions provided in this email.
Award is renewed only if the student completes all necessary forms, continues to meet eligibility requirements, and funds are available at the time that the application is completed.