Federal Perkins Loan for graduate and professional students
- Must show financial need
- Must be enrolled in a degree program
- Maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress
- U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Not in default on another student loan
- Previous Graduate/professional Perkins Borrower in Award Year 2014-2015 or earlier
- Perkins loan recipient for the same Career and Major as their last Perkins disbursement*
- Last received Perkins loan from Marquette University
The Federal government provides funds, and Marquette selects eligible students and determines each student's loan amount.
The interest rate will be a fixed rate of 5 percent. No interest accrues while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Standard repayment period is 10 years. Repayment begins and interest accrues nine months after the last date of half-time enrollment. Students are billed monthly by Marquette's Student Loan Accounts. Must have exit interview completed prior to leaving Marquette. Under certain circumstances, loan payments may be deferred and portions of the loan may be canceled.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Eligible students who have accepted the Perkins Loan on CheckMarq will receive an email informing them that a MPN is available to sign online.
This loan will not be renewed. 2016-17 is the last year for the Perkins for renewal graduate/professional borrowers. The Graduate/professional Perkins Loan program is ending 9/30/2016. No additional loans will be available after that time.
*Per federal regulations, schools may not make Federal Perkins Loan program to new Graduate/professional borrowers after June 30, 2015.