Bridge to Business for Engineers
Sponsored by Rexnord Corporation
president and CEO, Rexnord
“We see great value in an engineering program that provides a solid technical background supplemented with broader business knowledge."
Bridge to Business for Engineers is a six-day non-credit program that gives early career engineers the business fundamentals they need to be successful.
The curriculum focuses on the key touchpoints between engineers and other functions within the organization and was designed in concert with the Opus College of Engineering and corporate partners. Participants will experience a mix of classroom and applied learning opportunities that will provide the knowledge and skills to be effective in their functional role and across the enterprise.
Bridge to Business is made possible through a generous corporate gift from Rexnord Corporation.
Spring & Summer 2021 Sessions
Fill out our inquiry form and we will contact you with more information.
May/June 2021 Program - Virtual
Week 1: May 25 – 27, 2021
Week 2: June 8-10, 2021
August 2020 Program - In person, on campus
Week 1: August 10-12, 2021
Week 2: August 24-26, 2021
*Organizations sending two participants are eligible to send a third participant for free.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Who should attend
The program is specifically designed for early career engineers from all engineering disciplines. The target audience includes engineers who recently graduated and have completed co-op or internship experiences as well as those with up to 5 years’ experience working in their field.
- Increase understanding of the various aspects of a business enterprise
- Provide tools to effectively deliver engineering expertise cross-functionally across the organization
- Develop skills for communication, decision making and team leadership
- Lay the foundation for a path to become a high potential leader
ABB, Badger Meter, Briggs & Stratton, Direct Supply, HUSCO International, Kohler Company, Johnson Controls, Modine Corporation and Rexnord, Rockwell Automation and We Energies.
Key program modules
- Supply chain management: inventory, logistics management, sourcing & supplier evaluation, managing buyer/supplier relationships
- Accounting: financial statements, key ratios & analysis, costing, performance measurement, budgeting
- Finance: time value of money, project evaluation
- Marketing: marketing channels, sales, pricing, voice of the customer
- Teamwork: leadership, team behavior and communication styles
- Leadership skills: conflict, negotiation, decision-making, working in a multi-generational workforce
- Ethical issues
- Intellectual property and innovation
- Presentation skills
- Classroom instruction delivered by Marquette faculty experts
- Interaction with industry executives
- An integrated curriculum that addresses the synergies between technical and business responsibilities
- An applied approach that provides transfer of learning directly to the workplace