Welcome to 2021 and the spring semester! The Business Career Center is committed to offering its full scope of career and professional development services in a variety of ways to keep our community safe.
Business Career Center Overview
Exploring career possibilities? Looking for that “dream” job? Want to hire students who are ready to “hit the ground running”? Thinking about a new career? The Business Career Center provides exceptional career resources for students, alumni, and employers. With our partner, the Marquette University Career Services Center, we offer professional career preparation and development for undergraduate students. Special programs include our LEAD courses, Mentor Program, and employer relations specialized for business fields.
Appointments & Drop-In Hours
Business Career Center staff will offer phone/virtual appointments for the spring 2021 semester. Students and alumni are invited to schedule phone/virtual meetings via Handshake (as you would an in-person appointment, instructions available here). Students and alumni have the option for 15, 30, or 60 minute appointments depending on the nature of the items to be discussed (alumni are encouraged to utilize the 45 minute alumni option, though the other times are also options). Further, you are welcome to continue to email resumes, cover letters and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org for electronic review.
Spring 2021 drop-ins will be held via the chat system on the right hand side of this screen. Drop-in hours are a great way to get to know BCC resources and have quick questions addressed. Examples of drop-in meetings include learning more about an upcoming career event or on-campus recruiting activity, talking through Internship for Credit options, or guidance on applying for a position through Handshake. As drop-in hours are designed to be around ten minutes in length, we encourage you to continue to utilize pre-scheduled 15, 30 or 60 minute appointment slots for questions pertaining to cover letter or resume creation, interviewing preparation and practice, job/internship search strategies, etc.
Drop-in hours are offered from 12pm - 2pm central time, Monday - Thursday, from January 25 - May 7, 2021 when classes are held (eg, no holidays or student mental health days).
Career events for spring 2021
Per Phase Four recovery guidelines, on-campus and off-campus events, indoor or outdoor, currently cannot exceed 50 people and must comply with current room capacities for campus spaces. This aligns with the 50-person cap for academic spaces. As such, all multi-employer events will again be virtual, including the 2021 Business Fair. Additionally, the 30th anniversary WorkForce: Jobs, Internships, and Graduate Schools will also be virtual on Handshake.
Job and internship opportunities as well as employer-provided virtual events will continue to be posted within Handshake. Students are encouraged to remain active in their career exploration and job/internship searches.
Get started with Handshake
Handshake is a modern and interactive career development platform. Students, alumni and employers are encouraged to use Handshake to connect through job and internship opportunities, on-campus interviews, and career events. Students may schedule Business Career Center appointments online and access subscription-based resources through the Handshake “resources” library.
Find Out More About the Business Career Center
Expand all | Collapse all
The mission of the Business Career Center is to:
- Provide students with a well-rounded, competitive skill set that includes career coaching and applied learning experiences needed to secure a position at an employer of choice upon graduation.
- Develop strategic partnerships with employers to provide shadowing, internship, and permanent employment opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Partner with key local, regional, and national employers to understand their current and future employment needs.
- Serve as a resource to alumni, community partners, and faculty.
Karen Rinehart, Director
Hannah Lubar, Assistant Director
Laura Philbin, Assistant Director
Connie Knoll, Office Associate
Dillon Waschenbach, Graduate Assistant
The Business Career Center in the College of Business Administration and Graduate School of Management at Marquette University is located in the Executive Center on the 2nd Floor of Straz Hall, Room 277. Straz Hall is building 12 on the campus map. The closest visitor parking to Straz Hall is in structure 2, on the northeast corner of 13th and Wells Streets (building 67 on the campus map).
Our Campus Career Partners
- Career Services Center: The campus-wide Career Services Center serves students across colleges and majors. The CSC oversees Handshake administration, hosts the majority of on-campus interviews and coordinates career fairs. Visit the CSC website for staff profiles and office contact information.
- College of Engineering Co-Op & Internship Program: The College of Engineering Co-operative Education Program was one of the nation's first and is one of its most renowned. Learn more. The Engineering Office of Industry Relations can be reached at email@example.com.
- College of Communication: In addition to posting on Handshake, if you wish to connect with College of Communication students, please contact their internship office.
- Kinger College of Arts and Sciences: The College of Arts and Sciences has several opportunities for career education and internship coordination, including the Les Aspin Center for Government (providing academic and internship programming focused on the public policy making process). A&S students interested in internship or career planning should contact the Career Services Center. Additionally, the Marquette University Arts & Sciences Paid Internship Program provides a $1600 stipend and academic credit for up to 35 individual students each semester participating in unpaid internships (deadlines and eligibility vary. This program is funded through a grant provided by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.
The Business Career Center is on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn! We look forward to connecting with you.