Beta Alpha Psi
Welcome to the Psi Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi at Marquette University!
You may contact the faculty advisor, Mr. Rich Tobin, with any questions.
What is Beta Alpha Psi?
The primary objective of Beta Alpha Psi is to encourage and give recognition to scholastic and professional excellence in the business information field. This includes promoting the study and practice of accounting; providing opportunities for self-development, service, and association among members and practicing professionals; and encouraging a sense of ethical, social, and public responsibility.
Why should you join?
Beta Alpha Psi will give you outstanding opportunities to network with potential future employers on a weekly basis. Professional meetings keep you informed of current trends in accounting, will prepare you for the real world after college, and will demonstrate that you are interested in extending your accounting knowledge beyond the classroom. Service events allow you to give back to the community, while networking with accounting professionals. Social events allow you to informally network with peers and accounting professionals, while having a lot of fun!
How do you join?
First Year Students – Freshman Affiliate Program: Explore the fraternity as a Freshman Affiliate. As an affiliate, your membership dues are covered by our sponsors. You can drop in on as many weekly meetings as you like. Network with employers. Socialize with classmates who can help you register for classes, apply for internships, etc. Interested Freshman should contact the faculty advisor, email@example.com.
Second Year – Candidate I and Candidate II: It takes two consecutive semesters of active participation in Beta Alpha Psi to become an initiated member. Prior to earning membership, students are considered candidates for membership. During that time, candidates must participate in professional and service activities. Candidates must attain high academic standards. Candidates must pay a one-time initiation fee and regular dues.
Notify the Chapter of your interest in becoming a candidate by submitting the New Candidate Form at:
Initiated Members: After initiation into membership, students commit to remaining active members until graduation, by continuing to participate in professional activities, service activities, leadership roles, and ultimately mentoring roles. Marquette University is recognized nationally as an outstanding chapter, and we hope each member desires to continue the legacy.
Membership Requirements for New Candidates
To become eligible for initiation as a member, candidates must meet the following academic and participation requirements.
Academic Requirements for New Candidates
- Students may begin candidacy once they have sophomore standing (i.e., earned at least 24 college credits).
- Quality Point Average (QPA) of 3.0 in all upper-division accounting courses. For candidates who are double-majors in accounting with finance or information technology, grades in upper-division finance or information technology courses, respectively, will be factored in the QPA as well.
- Satisfy one of the following grade requirements:
- Cumulative QPA of 3.0; or
- Cumulative QPA of 3.25 over the most recent 30 semester hours completed.
Participation Requirements for New Candidates
- 14 professional hours per semester for two semesters (i.e. 28 total professional hours). Professional hours include attendance at weekly BAP professional presentations. Candidates may earn 5 professional hours per semester from non-BAP activities. Note: Candidates who are short hours one semester can make up the hours in the other semester.
- 10 service hours per semester for two semesters (i.e. 20 total service hours). Examples of BAP service opportunities are tutoring and proctoring for principles exams, as well as other community service activities throughout the year. Candidates may earn 5 service hours (or 250 minutes) per semester from non-BAP activities. Note: Candidates who are short hours one semester can make up the hours in the other semester.
- Chapter dues are $100 for candidates in their first semester of candidacy. These dues are non-refundable and must be paid by each candidate. This includes a $75 non-refundable initiation fee remitted to the National BAP office. The remaining portion of your dues fund professional, scholarship, service, and social activities.
- Chapter dues are $25 for candidates in their second semester of candidacy. However, these dues are waived for candidates that contribute to the Annual Beta Alpha Psi Auction.
Participation Requirements for Initiated Members
- Chapter dues are $25 per semester for initiated members. However, these dues are waived for members that contribute to the Annual Beta Alpha Psi Auction.
- Initiated members are recognized as Members in Good Standing (MIGS) at the Fall and/or Spring semester initiation if they earn 8 professional hours and 8 services hours over the course of the respective semester. MIGS are eligible for scholarships, recognition, prizes, and awards.
- Graduating Seniors, aka Senior Citizens, earn an honor chord if they are earn 4 professional hours and 4 service hours in each of their final two semesters.